After two successful editions of the “Startup of the Year” award in France (with 2700 participating startups), Bonjour Idée, the collaborative magazine for startups and OCP Group the world leader in the phosphate markets and its derivatives as well as a committed player for sustainable agriculture in Africa, have teamed up to launch the first African edition of the Startup of the Year competition, “Startup of the Year/Africa 2017”.
The “Startup of the Year/Africa – 2017” Awards
Dedicated to African ecosystem, this first edition, calls on African based startups, startups founded by at least one member of the African diaspora as well as international startups willing to settle in Africa, to apply online via the website, startup.info. Application is open until 31 December 2016
The primary goal of this award is to promote the African economic and social development through innovative and efficient startups.
The competition is free and open to all startups meeting the following criteria:
- Have legal status (a registration number will be required)
- Headquartered in Africa to be chosen as the “African Startup of the Year” and for “OCP Agritech Special Award.”
No geographical restrictions for the other awards are required.
- The Startup Foundation date has to be from 1 January 2010
Different awards are expected
The “Startup of the Year/Africa – 2017” Judging Panel’s Awards:
- 1st Prize: a cheque for €10,000 and a €10,000 communications package (featured on bonjouridee.com, communications campaign in the press and on social media). The winning startup will be networked with all the competition partners
- The panel’s award for its favorite entry: A €10,000 communications package. The winning startup will be networked with all the competition partners
The Public’s Awards
- 1st Prize as voted by the public (1st position in the #TOP100 after the public vote): a cheque for €2,000, Bonjour Idée communication package and the startup will be put in contact with all the competition partners
- 2nd – 5th Prizes as voted by the public: Bonjour Idée’ communication package.
The Partners’ Special Awards
In addition to the judging panel and the public awards, our partners will grant Special Awards, each one accompanied by cheque for up to €5,000, support packages and Bonjour Idée communication package.
- OCP Agritech Special Award which will be given to an innovative agricultural startup.
- The SNCF Destination Africa Special Award which will be given to an international startup willing to settle in Africa.
- The African Diaspora Special Award which will be given to a startup founded by an African diaspora member
- 9 November 2016 from 10 am ‘til midday official launch event conference for the Startup of the Year/Africa 2017 competition, held at COP 22 in Marrakech (Morocco)
- Until 31 December 2016: call for applications and online submissions
- from 2 ‘til 15 January 2017: Public vote to determine the public’s top 100 startups.
- 26 January 2017: Conference and awards ceremony in Casablanca, Morocco.
The process continues throughout the year, promoting African startups and monitoring actions undertaken by partners as part of open innovation programs to support entrepreneurship and innovation in Africa.
About Bonjour Idée
Launched in 2011 by Kossi Adzo (Software Engineer, Ex Bell-Labs) in an interactive format, Bonjour Idée has become the number 1 collaborative magazine dedicated to startups. Bonjour Idée has two goals:
- Showcasing the latest startups and making them more visible to our audience, primarily made up of players within the innovation industry, journalists, investors and early adopters,
- Enabling large groups to meet with startups which are essential to their transformation using calls for projects, competitions, and bespoke events.
Bonjour Idée also has: a database of 8500 startups, 2000 of which are freely available on bonjouridee.com; 100 new startups included every month; 90,000 registered users and more than 100,000 unique visitors every month.
More information on bonjouridee.com
About OCP Group
OCP is proud to play a major role in feeding a growing global population, by providing essential elements for soil fertility and plants growth.
With almost a century of experience, OCP Group is a leader in the phosphate rock and derivate markets. OCP provides a wide range of well-adapted fertilizer products to enhance soil, increase agricultural yields, and help to feed the planet in a sustainable and affordable way.
Headquartered in Morocco, OCP works in close partnership with more than 160 customers over five continents.
As part of its commitment to serving African agriculture and for sustainable agriculture, OCP puts innovation at the heart of its strategy.
To support project leaders, OCP Group encourages entrepreneurship to generate jobs on a long –term basis through the program OCP Entrepreneurship Network ( OCPEN).
For more information visit : www.ocpgroup.ma
About PwC France and French-speaking African countries
PwC offers to consult, auditing and accounting expertise in France and across French-speaking African countries, focusing on a sectoral approach.
PwC’s international network of more than 223,000 people in 157 countries shares innovative solutions, expertise, and viewpoints to provide a quality service for its clients and its partners. The French entities and French-speaking African members of PwC are made up of 5,800 employees in 23 countries. Go to www.pwc.fr
By working every day to advise and accompany its clients on their path to success, PwC contributes to the dynamics of the French economy. Through its research and expert analysis, PwC is also committed to preparing for the economies of the future and to developing new technological uses. Lastly, by providing solutions to control risks, PwC is creating a sense of trust between players and helping to secure the heart of the French economy.
“PwC” refers to the PwC network and one or more of its member entities, each of which constitutes its separate legal entity. For more information, go to www.pwc.com/structure
About the ENGIE Group
ENGIE is the biggest independent power producer in the world. The Group puts responsible growth at the heart of its business (electricity, natural gas, energy services) to respond to the major issues of the energy transition towards a low-carbon economy: access to sustainable energy, mitigating and adapting to climate change and the careful use of resources.
ENGIE works in partnership with entrepreneurs, startups and experts to innovate and create solutions which will shape the energy of the future. Since 2014, ENGIE has launched 45 calls for projects: more than 1000 proposals from startups have been submitted on its innovation platform (http://openinnovation-engie.com/fr/), and 50 have been awarded prizes.
Our job? Getting you closer. Making the transportation of people and goods simple and smooth. Creating and developing the transport of the future. And that’s not all… In figures (2015): €31.4bn in revenue (33.3% of which was generated abroad), €8.2bn in investments, 260,000 employees in 120 countries.
More information on sncf.com
Qwant is a “Made in France” European search engine which is based on two principles: respect for privacy and the neutrality of results. It has a different view of the internet, aiming to offer a credible, intuitive alternative and to rebuild Internet users’ trust. A simple interface displays results which show content from the web, social networks, and news, along with photos and videos.
Today Qwant is available in 15 languages and 25 countries, its user numbers are steadily growing and, as of September 2016, it has 27 million monthly visitors.
More information on qwant.com
Founded in 2011 by Albert Szulman and Yazid Chir, Be-Bound® is based on a simple idea: connecting everyone, anywhere in the world, immediately, to reduce the digital divide. To achieve this, Be-Bound allows anyone with a smartphone or any other connected mobile device to access the mobile internet, whatever network is available (Wi-Fi, 4G, 3G, EDGE, GPRS, and SMS) and whatever its quality.
More information on: be-bound.com
- Kossi Adzo – email@example.com
For more information about the awards
Competition page: startup.info
Press release + images: bit.ly/startupinfopress
Competition hashtag: #StartupAfro
Follow us on